Sign in or
- *Bernard Williams, “The idea of equality,” in Peter Laslett and W.G. Runciman
- eds., Philosophy, Politics and Society (Blackwell, 1958), second series, pp. 110-131.
- Douglas Rae et. al, Equalities (Harvard University Press, 1981), chs. 4-5, *6.
- John Roemer, Equality of Opportunity (Harvard University Press, 2000) *chs. 1-4
- *Amartya Sen, Inequality Reexamined (Harvard University Press/Russell Sage, 1992).
- Ronald Dworkin, “What is equality? Part I: Equality of welfare,” Philosophy and Public Affairs, vol. 10, no. 3, (Summer 1981), pp. 185-246.
- *Ronald Dworkin, “What is equality? Part II: Equality of resources,” Philosophy and Public Affairs, vol. 10, no. 4, (Fall 1981), pp. 283-345.
- G.A. Cohen, “Self-ownership, world ownership and equality, part I,” in Frank Lucash, ed., Justice and Equality Here and Now (Cornell University Press, 1988), p. 108-35.
- *G.A. Cohen, “Self-ownership, world ownership and equality, part II, Social Philosophy and Policy, vol. 3, no. 2 (Spring 1986), pp. 77-96.
- G.A. Cohen, “On the currency of egalitarian justice,” Ethics, vol. 99, no. 4 (July1989), pp. 906-44.
- *Nancy Fraser, "From Redistribution to Recognition? Dilemmas of Justice in a Postsocialist Age," Justice Interruptus: Critical Reflection on the Postsocialist Condition, ch. 1.
- Ian Shapiro, Democracy’s Place, ch. 3.
- Susan Okin, Justice, Gender, and the Family (Basic Books, 1989), ch. 8.
- Catharine MacKinnon, Toward a Feminist Theory of the State (Harvard University Press, 1989, part II.
- *Iris Young, Justice and the Politics of Difference (Princeton University Press)
- Carole Pateman, The Sexual Contract (Stanford, 1988)
Harvard listA. Equality of what?
- Arneson, R., ‘Equality and Equal Opportunity for Welfare’, Philosophical Studies 56 (1989), 77-93, andreprinted in L.P. Pojman and R. Westmoreland, Equality. Selected Readings (OUP, 1997),pp.229-241
- Arneson, R., ‘Debate: Equality of Opportunity for Welfare Defended and Recanted’, Journal of PoliticalPhilosophy 7 (1999), 488-497
- Burley, J. (ed.), Dworkin and his Critics (Blackwell, 2004), Chs by G.A. Cohen and by M. Otuska
- Clayton, M., and Williams, A., ‘Egalitarian Justice and Interpersonal Comparison’, European Journal of Political Research 35 (1999), 445-464 [a copy kept in the Faculty Library Offprint collection]; or ‘Some Questions for Egalitarians’, in M. Clayton and A. Williams (eds.), The Ideal ofEquality (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2000), pp. 1-19
- Daniels, N., ‘Equality of What: Welfare, Resources or Capabilities?’, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research (1990, Supplement), or in his Justice and Justification (CUP, 1996), pp. 208-231
- Dworkin, R., ‘What is Equality? Part 1: Equality of Welfare’ and ‘What is Equality? Part 2: Equality of Resources’ in PPA 10 (1981), 185-246 & 283-345, and reprinted in his Sovereign Virtue (Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 2000), pp.11-119
- Rawls, J., ‘Social Unity and Primary Goods’, in A. Sen and B. Williams (eds.), Utilitarianism and Beyond (CUP, 1982), pp. 159-185, or in his Collected Papers (Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 1999), pp. 359-387
- Sen, A. ‘Equality of What?’, in S. Mcmurrin (ed.), Tanner Lectures on Human Values, Vol. 1, or in S. Darwall (ed.), Equal Freedom (Ann Arbor: Michigan UP, 1995), pp.307-330
- Sen, A., Inequality reexamined (Russell Sage Foundation & Clarendon Press, 1992), especially chs 1 and 3
- Anderson, E.S., ‘What is the Point of Equality?’, Ethics 109 (1999), 287-337
- Dworkin, R., ‘Equality, Luck and Hierarchy’, Philosophy and Public Affairs 31 (2003), 190-198
- Frankfurt, H., ‘Equality as a Moral Ideal’, in Ethics 98 (1987), 21-43, and in his The Importance of What We Care About (CUP, 1988), pp. 134-158. Also reprinted in L.P. Pojman and R.Westmoreland (eds.), Equality. Selected Readings (OUP, 1997), pp. 261-273
- Nagel, T., ‘Equality’, in his Mortal Questions (CUP, 1979), pp. 106-127
- Parfit, D., ‘Equality or Priority?’, The Lindley Lecture, University of Kansas (1991), pp. 1-42, and in M. Clayton and A. Williams (eds.), The Ideal of Equality (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2000),pp. 81-125
- Raz, J., ‘Equality’, in his The Morality of Freedom (Clarendon Press, 1986)
- Scanlon, T.M., ‘The Diversity of Objections to Inequality’, Lindley Lecture 1996, in M. Clayton and A.Williams (eds.), The Ideal of Equality (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2000), pp.41-59
- Scheffler, S., ‘What is Egalitarianism?’ Philosophy and Public Affairs 31 (2003), 5-39
- Temkin, L., ‘Equality, Priority, and the Levelling Down Objection’, in M. Clayton and A. Williams(eds.), The Ideal of Equality (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2000), pp. 126-161
- Carens, J., ‘Rights and Duties in an Egalitarian Society’, Political Theory 14 (1986), 31-49
- Cohen, G.A., ‘Incentives, Inequality and Community’, in S. Darwall (ed.), Equal Freedom (Michigan UP, 1995), 331-397
- Cohen, G.A., ‘Where the Action Is: On the Site of Distributive Justice’, PPA 26 (1997), 3-30
- Rawls, J., A Theory of Justice (OUP, 1972 or revised edition, 1999), chs 2 & 5
- Shaw, P., ‘The Pareto Argument and Inequality’, The Philosophical Quarterly 49 (1999), 353 368
- Williams, A., ‘Incentives, Inequality, and Publicity’, Philosophy and Public Affairs 27 (1998), 225-247
- Dworkin, R., Taking Rights Seriously (Duckworth, 1977), chapter 9
- Edwards, J.R., Positive Discrimination, Social Justice and Social Policy (Tavistock, 1987)
- Ezorsky, G., Racism and Justice (New York: Cornell UP, 1991), chs 1-4
- Goldman, H., Justice and Reverse Discrimination (Princeton, NJ: Princeton UP, 1979)
- Mason, A., ‘Equality of Opportunity, Old and New’, Ethics 111 (2001), 760-781
- Nagel, T., ‘Equal Treatment and Compensatory Discrimination’, PPA 2 (1973), 348-363 and reprinted as ‘The Policy of Preference’, in his Mortal Questions (CUP, 1979)
- Schaar, J.J., Equality of Opportunity, and Beyond, , in J. Chapman and R. Pennock (eds.), NOMOS IX:Equality (Atherton, 1967), reprinted in L.P. Pojman and R. Westmoreland (eds.), Equality.
Latest page update: made by timfisken
, Jul 21 2007, 5:05 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by timfisken
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.